Usually when we think of blenders, the first things that comes to mind are smoothies and bliss balls. But obviously, these are not the only things we can make!
What are my thoughts on the Optimum Vortex Blender G2.1?
Firstly, it is rather pretty, with the LED touch pad and sleek design. Secondly, it isn’t too loud as some blenders are (super handy for making morning smoothies whilst others are sleeping!), and thirdly, I really love being able to set the timer, so that if I need to walk away and do something else, I happily can without being worried about it over heating!
Also, I love how evenly it blends ingredients. The first thing I made were some Biscuit Balls (see recipe below), and I loved how effortlessly the ingredients were blended into a smooth paste. In the past I’ve often found uneven consistency of blending (with chunks of things left behind), however this was not the case here!
The only concern I had was cleaning it, as after making the biscuit balls (that clearly had quite sticky ingredients) I found it difficult to clean. This was easily fixed with the instructions you can find at the end of this post!
First though, it is time for some recipes!
Such a popular dish, and such an easy way to really up your veggie intake. This can be used as a low carb alternate to mashed potato, or even rolled out to make a pizza base!
1/2 cauliflower, broken into florets
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Sea salt flakes, to taste.
Extra virgin olive oil
- Place cauliflower florets in Optimum Vortex Blender G2.1 and use the ‘vegetable’ function to break it up until desired consistency is achieved. Scrap down sides to help the cauliflower blend evenly.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a fry pan and add garlic.
- Once cauliflower is ready, add to fry pan and sprinkle with cumin, then stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
I came up with this recipe when I was making burrito bowls for some friends who were coming over for dinner, but knowing that they weren’t all the biggest fans of chilli. I must say, I personally like this version better than the spicy one! If you are a chilli lover, you can easily add chilli in toyour tastes, or add on top at the end!
1 cup coriander
1 cup parsley
1 avocado, peeled and seed removed
Juice from 1/2 lime
Pinch salt flakes
1 tsp paprika
1tbspn golden syrup
Generous drizzle garlic infused olive oil
Water as needed to help thin
- Add herbs, avocado, spices, golden syrup and olive oil to Optimum Vortex Blender G2.1.
- Using ‘pulse’ function, blend until a smooth paste is achieved, adding small amounts of water to thin the paste as needed.
Who doesn’t love a handy bliss ball? However sometimes, they can be rather sticky and inconvenient. Whilst baking obviously dries them out a little, these babies are by no means dry. Plus, they’ll keep in the fridge for up to a week.
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup each walnuts and macadamia nuts
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (such as Pic’s)
1 cup dried fruit (such as cranberries, blueberries and dates)
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1 serve acai smoothie powder
1 tbspn coconut oil, melted
1 pinch salt
Water as needed
1. Add nuts and oats to Optimum Vortex Blender G2.1 and pulse until a floury consistency, approximately 1 minute. Meanwhile, heat oven to 180 celsius, and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Add acai powder and salt and pulse for 5 seconds or until combined.
3. Add dried fruit, coconut flakes, peanut butter and coconut oil, and continue to pulse, adding water as needed.
4. Scrape down sides as it goes.
5. Once a smooth paste has formed, stop the Optimum Vortex Blender G2.1.
6. Using a dessert spoon, spoon mix out into golf ball sized quantities, form a ball, and place on oven tray.
7. Repeat step six until the mixture is used.
8. Bake in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until cooked.
Making a meal…
I paired the Cauliflower Rice and Chilli Free Chimichurri with slow cooked lamb, and sautéed brussels sprouts and fennel for dinner recently. Needless to say this will definitely be on the menu again!
1) After each use, rinse the container thoroughly with warm water, not hot.
2) Place 2-3 cups of w
arm water in the container with 1 drop of dish washing detergent.
3) Lock the lid with the lid plug in place.
4) Start the machine at high speed and run it for 30-60 seconds.
5) Pour content out and rinse thoroughly.
6) Turn upside down and let air dry.
Once per month, it is recommended to clean with 2-3 cups of water with 1 cup of white vinegar, and then follow steps 3-6 above.