This recipe is such a great go to, and one I have been sharing with clients for years. Much healthier than a traditional lasagne due to the veggies, it also freezes really well. Those late nights at the office won’t seem so tough when you know you’ll be coming home to this deliciousness!
10-15 minutes preparation time, 30-45 minutes cooking time
2 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
400g lean beef mince
¼ cup brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
1 can lentils, rinsed and drained
1 zucchini, grated
½ medium eggplant, diced
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
4 cups baby spinach leaves
2 cans chopped tomatoes
½ cup red wine
½ cup water
1 handful basil
1 handful oregano
Cracked pepper, to taste
6-8 lasagne sheets
¾ cup cottage cheese
¾ cup pizza cheese
- Preheat oven to 180o
- Heat oil in large fry pan, and then brown the beef mince, garlic and onion.
- Add, and stir through lentils and all vegetables, except the spinach leaves.
- Stir through canned tomatoes and red wine.
- Add herbs and spices.
- If time permits, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, (this will allow the full flavour of the sauce to develop). Add a little water if the sauce appears to be drying out.
- Add baby spinach leaves and fold through until just wilted.
- Meanwhile, grease a casserole or baking dish with olive oil and line the bottom with lasagne sheets.
- Spoon enough sauce onto the bottom layer of lasagne to cover, and then add another layer of lasagne sheets.
- Repeat this until sauce is used.
- Spread cream cheese over the top layer and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with lid or foil and then place in oven.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for another 10 mins to brown the cheese.
Note: To save time, reduce the simmering duration in step 6 to 5-10 minutes.
Note: This recipe freezes really well, so is useful for preparing meals ahead of time.
Per serve provides:
Energy: 1590kJ, Protein: 27.3, Fat: 13g, Fibre: 8.6g
- Gluten free (use GF pasta)
- Wheat free (use GF pasta)
- FODMAP friendly (use garlic infused oil and leave out garlic and onion, use GF pasta)