I am a huge fan of easter buns, and have recently stumbled upon this recipe that I just had to share! The recipe has been created by Ruby from Little Spice Co., in collaboration with Pic’s Peanut Butter – my absolute favourite.
I hope you enjoy this delicious treat as much as me!
Spelt, Peanut Butter & Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns
4 cups spelt flour
2 x 7g sachet dried yeast
¼ cup caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons Little Spice Co Organic Cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 ½ cup sultanas
2 eggs, beaten
300 ml milk
¼ cup Pics Peanut Butter
Paste for white cross:
½ cup plain flour
4 tablespoons water
1. Combine flour, sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt and sultanas in a large mixing bowl.
2. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat, then add milk and heat until warm.
3. Add milk mixture and eggs to flour mixture and combine until a soft dough is formed. (We recommend using you clean hands to mix this through)
4. Place dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth.
5. Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until dough doubles in size.
6. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Punch dough back down to its original size and knead for a further 30 seconds on floured surface.
7. Divide into 12 ball shapes and place on baking tray, with about 1 cm of room between each. Cover with cling wrap and set aside for 30 minutes, or until buns double in size.
8. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees
9. Make flour paste by mixing flour and water together until smooth. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns in a cross shape. If you don’t have a piping bag, spoon mixture into a small snap lock bag and snip off 1 corner. The more of the corner you trim, the bigger your lines will be. Bake for 20-25 mins.
10. Serve warm or at room temp, we recommend adding extra peanut butter, cinnamon and a drizzle of honey!